Thursday, May 21, 2009

Beautiful Michigan!!! ;-)

I just had to write this post.

For a few weeks now, I've been reading people's Facebook statuses and having conversations with several friends and customers at Timbuktu Cafe regarding living in Michigan. So many people are totally disgusted with living in the state of Michigan.

A common mantra is, "There's nothing to do here. Michigan is sooo boring." Well, that's really not a true statement. I think that the better statement is something like, "I'm so boring or uncreative, that I can't find anything to do in Michigan."

Let me share some wisdom with you. I've lived in 4 countries and 4 U.S. states and travelled to 26 countries and over 40 U.S. states. I've never lived in or been to a place as rich, fascinating and warm as Michigan is. BUT ... you can't appreciate it unless you are (1) open-minded, (2) creative and (3) humble.

I wasn't always able to appreciate the beauty and wealth of experiences that Michigan had to offer either until I lived in and travelled to other places.

Yesterday morning, LaDonna and I were invited up to Torch Lake to visit a friend's farm that he bought 10 years ago that he has been building into a sustainable living environment. We jumped in our car and rushed up there as fast as we could to get the experience.

I thank God for LaDonna because she has the same spirit that I do which embodies: (1) open-mindedness, (2) creativity and (3) humility.

We arrived at his 80 acre property with the most incredible views of Torch Lake. For years, when people talked about Michigan's lakes and other bodies of water in Michigan, I would start to brag about how beautiful the water was in the caribbean (e.g. St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Cuba, etc.). But, yesterday, I was humbled by how beautiful the water color was up at Torch Lake.

We expanded our context yesterday and we learned so many new things.

My friend has all kinds of natural springs and burpers, weepers, etc. on his property. LaDonna and I got to stick our hands down in the water and feel the water pressure of a natural spring source pushing up from the ground. It was amazing.

Later, our friend took us to a friend of his' house that has a greenhouse and farm on the property. His friend is a holistic healer and many other things that are just incredible. He showed us one of the most incredible greenhouses that we've ever seen. He also grows his crops using vibrations based on rods and lays. A lot of it was way over my head, but it was just incredible listening him speak about it and after a couple of trips, I think I would understand it more.

He also took us in his home and taught us some amazing things about holistic healing and probiotics. All of which was new to me.

Riding around up at Torch Lake we saw chickens, turkeys, deer (that would just stop and stare at you standing still), horses, cows, and all kinds of fish. It's an amazing place and I highly recommend it.

For lunch, my friend's girlfriend made us homemade Arnold Palmers and scrambled eggs with fresh red peppers, fresh onions and fresh mushrooms. It was the most delicious egg dish I've ever eaten.

The entire experience was totally exhilirating and I'm on a new natural high from it.

If you want more out of Michigan, BE more. Michigan may be "boring" to you because of who "you are". In order to change that feeling, you might want to change yourself.

I love Michigan. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

No comments:

Post a Comment