Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Death to Books, CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays!

Lately, I've been having several conversations with different people and really enjoying each and every one. It's incredible the way in which our realities have changed so our ideas and paradigms (or the way we view the world) are changing as well.

This morning, I got to the store (Timbuktu Cafe) and Terry came in to speak to me. He said that he had been looking into investing in these red ... something ... vending machines that sell DVDs, CDs, etc. He asked me what I thought about it.

Then he was like, "you know ... because Blockbuster is going bankrupt". So, that sparked a question in my mind, "Why do you think Blockbuster is going bankrupt?" He was like, "I don't know ... why do you think?" I told him that I wondered if it was because CDs and DVDs are becoming obsolete.

He was like, "yah ... I think you're right." I told him that I saw an interview with Bill Gates a few years ago and the interviewer asked him what he thought the next advance in technology would be. He said something like, "I don't really know, but CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs are on their way out!" He said it was because we really haven't advanced that technology much past vinyl discs, then laser discs, to CDs, DVDs and now Blu-Rays.

I was talking with LaDonna and we agreed that the future of entertainment will not be dependent on the media format. For example, there will probably be a universal format for movies and music and it will exist independent of the media. In other words, you will be able to just go on the internet and download "music", "movies" or "literature". You will not have to purchase physical CDs or DVDs, Blu-Rays or books.

Moreover, with the world movement towards living green and reducing our carbon footprint and conservation it will only make sense that all of this content will become digital and then be available on the world wide web.

I think it's incredible and I can't wait. I imagine a future where we'll be able to sit in our living room and have a conversation like, "Honey, what do you want to watch tonight?" "Oh, I remember this movie called, 'Less Than Zero' that I always found fascinating." "Ok. Computer, please play 'Less Than Zero' with 'Robert Downey, Jr.'" and that movie begins to play on our display. That is the future.

The world has become more of a world of convenience, instant gratification and focused on conservation. If we eliminate physical books, CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays, we will probably be eliminating an INCREDIBLE amount of non-recyclable waste. Moreover, more people will have more access to art, music, literature and movies.

Imagine the day when you will be able to watch a live music concert streamed to your "display" ... or a live sporting event or anything that is currently charged admission.

What this could mean for the growth and exposure of young people to the richness of the world is incredible. I mean ... imagine that Prince only performs one concert a year, but now it's broadcast live around the world on the internet and people as far away as Zimbabwe can stream it for free or pay for the access.

I think that the free access to these forms of art and entertainment are going to also lower the cost of those events.

Well, "why would they do that?" you ask. Because they can reach a MUCH larger audience that way. "How would they make money, if they don't get paid off of ticket sales?" Through endorsements and vested profit-sharing in the advertisement revenues. These productions can still be branded with commercial messages and product placement, etc.

The point is ... in a capitalist society, the marketing and advertising agents will find a way to get their message across for other products.

The future is incredibly wonderful and bright! I can't wait ... let's go now!

PEACE ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment