Friday, April 24, 2009

Unexpected Relationships


Two things happen to me today that made me really proud that I am the kind of person that I have become.

1. I was in the middle of an incredible business meeting in Timbuktu Cafe this morning concerning the development and expansion of Timbuktu University when a woman and child entered the cafe. I thought I recognized them, but I must admit that I could not remember them by name nor can I most of my customers in the store. However, they remembered me. I said, "hey!" like I normally do to the little girl who was about my nieces' age, 10.

She smiled - gleamed at me for a few moments - she held my gaze and I just looked at her as if to ask, "what's up, honey?" But, I saw something in her little eyes and I said, "Do you want a hug?" And she was like, "yes ...." in a soft little voice. Apparently, somewhere in our former meeting, this little young lady had formed an emotional bond with me. It was a beautiful moment for me and made me stop and think how precious each moment that you interact with another human being is - especially children - because you never know how it might affect them or you.

2. During the same meeting, the store phone ring and I answered it. A woman was on the other end and asked, "May I speak to Sean". I said, "This is he". She said that she met me at a recent Jack and Jill Career Day event that LaDonna and I participated in at Oakland Community College about 2 months ago. She said that her son was begging her to come to the cafe and that he wanted to bring his fellow students from his private middle school academy. I said, "ok" and she went on to tell me that they wanted to "interview me" and "take some pictures of the store and me" for the school's newsletter. Once again, I didn't really remember this woman when she arrived with her son and the other 8 children, but the respect and love that they had for me was really incredible and brought home the entire vision of Timbuktu for me.

I opened Timbuktu Cafe because I saw that there was a "Digital Divide" between the haves and the have nots. But for me, those haves and have nots are divided by technology and internet access. I sought to provide an innovative, family-oriented, safe, clean, wholesome and motivational atmosphere for children, families and friends could socialize and share knowledge and entertainment together. Timbuktu has grown to be much more than that I dare say that it is becoming more and more like its namesake. It's becoming a meeting place, an technological oasis and open exchange of friendship, love, ideas and possibilities.

I'm excited and proud all at once. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment