Sunday, April 26, 2009

My Morehouse Poem

Winding Down: Reflections

Morehouse, in all your luster,
you stand before me like a proud father before his mature son.

I look and I love,

watching the endless but placid
hustle and bustle of passerbys.

You are proud father; I can tell from the tears that
are dropping on the windowpane before me.

As I look down at your name embroidered across my chest and glittering atop my ring,

I feel a great deal of pride and accomplishment.


I came to you a young, foolish boy,
filled with anxiety and impertinence.

I leave you as a man,
strong, confident and dignified.


Father, many times I have stumbled, but,
you were always there to catch me before I fell.

You taught me to walk
on water and NEVER look down, father.

I have the proud strength of two thousand men, father.
The wisdom of the greatest Black men
of all time, father.

I have the fire-breathing heart of a dragon , and
the poise and dignity of a King (MLK).

"A dragon?" Yes, father.

Let those who chose to say that they are lion, be lion.
But, I am the dragon, the Great Equalizer.

A proud, black, symbol of strength, power and cunning.
My powers are endless; my heart a roaring blaze.

I can soar as high as the clouds,
only because you are
the wind beneath my wings.
Everything that glitters is not gold, father,
But you are the real thing,
Morehouse

I must go now, father, but I must say to you,

"I love you" and "Thank You."

Sean K. Johnson

(Morehouse College Class of 1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment